Fight, Flight, Freeze, Fawn, or Submit?
In a deal, many people will try to say, “Let’s keep emotion out of it.” But did you know that’s actually impossible? Emotions are always present and fear especially can show itself in five ways on both sides of the transaction – fight, flight, freeze, fawn, and submit.
In this episode, we examine with Denise Logan the psychology and emotions of dealing with buyers. When you deal with the emotion in the room instead of pushing past it, you create a safe environment which builds trust and keeps your deal from ending in disappointment.
Denise Logan is on a mission to help sellers and advisors to understand the change that’s happening, and to increase the number of advisors that have the ability to care about people, along with transactions. Weaving together her background as a lawyer, mental health professional and business owner has enabled Denise to deftly guide hundreds of business owners and their professional teams as they navigate the complex emotional journey of selling your business and letting go into your own version of what’s next.
Questions addressed on this episode:
- Transparency: What are your thoughts on concealing information in a transaction?
- Deception: What signals are being sent out by a seller to buyers when a seller is not forthcoming with information?
- Dual representation: What are your views on dual representation in dental practice brokerage?
- Dual agent: How can a dual agent/practice broker represent a seller’s best interest as a dual agent?
- Fear: How can managing buyer’s expectations and identifying buyer’s emotions and motivations impact a deal?
- Good fit: What if a seller cannot find a buyer that is a perfect fit?
- Flexibility: How flexible should a seller be in accepting someone as a buyer?
- Change: What if a prospective buyer wants to make changes in a practice? Does this mean that the seller was doing things wrong?
Contact Denise online at: deniselogan.com, or email her at: email@example.com. Denise’s book, The Seller’s Journey is available on her website, and on Kindle and Audible.
Learn about dental practice transition specialists in your area by messaging: firstname.lastname@example.org
Long in the Tooth provides non-clinical gems of wisdom for older dental practice owners. Learn more about this podcast at: longinthetooth.info