(A). When it is dropped on the floor
(B). When it is punctured
(C). When it is wet
(D). All of the above
Before opening a dental instrument package, examine it carefully chair side. Packages that are dropped on the floor, punctured, torn, or wet are considered contaminated. In those events, repackage and resterilize the instruments, let the package dry completely, and carefully transport the sterilized package chair side.
Answer: (D). All of the above
Now let’s review the most important key points in sterilization for the Dental Hygiene Board Exams (NBDHE, NDHCE, CDCA, WREB, CRDTS):
- Use a closed transportation box to move the instruments to the processing area.
- Wear puncture- and chemical-resistant heavy-duty utility gloves for instrument cleaning and decontamination procedures.
- Clean debris by hand washing or automated process (ultrasonic cleaner or automatic washer).
- Wear puncture-resistant utility gloves when packaging instruments.
- An internal chemical indicator should be placed in every package.
- In addition, an external chemical indicator (e.g., chemical indicator tape) should be used when the internal indicator cannot be seen from outside the package.
- Instrument packs should be allowed to dry inside the sterilizer chamber before they are removed.
- Storage area should be enclosed and dry.
- Instruments should be cooled before being stored.
- Write the date and sterilizer used on the packaging.
If you use StudentRDH Dental Hygiene Boards Review, make sure to review this chapter on Infection Control well. The good news is that there is not a ton of information to remember (compared to oral pathology or head and neck anatomy).
Follow those steps in your clinic too! Email me at ClaireJ@StudentRDH.com if you have any questions about the Dental Hygiene Board Exams (whether it is the NBDHE, NDHCE, WREB, or CDCA).
Mini Boards Reviews for the National + Local Anesthesia Dental Hygiene Boards. Weekly Sample Questions at www.StudentRDH.com. Find COMPLETE review courses too. “I wish I did not spend money on other review courses!” – Bethany, Bergen CC, March 2016