(A). Grinding food
(B). Mastication of food
(C). Cutting food
(D). Tearing food
Our teeth have different functions according to their location:
- Incisors: biting and cutting food
- Canines: piercing and tearing food
- Posteriors: mastication and grinding food
Answer: (C). Cutting food
To memorize this, look at the image above. Scissors help us cut. Can you imagine cutting the wrapping paper you’ll use to wrap your friend’s birthday gift? Can you also associate the sharp edges of the scissor with the flat edges of the front teeth? If you can, this is now stuck in your head forever - congratulations!
Since we are all eager to learn more, let’s review some additional information that is extremely important to know for the dental hygiene board exams (NBDHE, NDHCE) related to the anatomy of the teeth. Here is a summary of the main characteristics of teeth available at StudentRDH dental hygiene board exams review course:
- Maxillary central incisor: widest crown mesiodistally.
- Maxillary lateral incisor: most congenitally missing tooth.
- Maxillary canine: longest tooth in the dentition.
- Maxillary 1st premolar: 2 roots (buccal, lingual). Other premolars have one root.
- Mandibular 1st molar: wider mesiodistally than
- Maxillary 1st molar: Largest tooth in the arch and in permanent dentition. 5th minor cusp (Cusp of Carabelli) present.
- 3rd molars: usually fused roots.
More information is available in the chapter on Dental Anatomy at StudentRDH Dental Hygiene Board Exams Review for the NBDHE, NDHCE, but make sure to memorize at least the characteristics listed above. A little goes a long way! With all the knowledge you accumulate with StudentRDH Weekly Vitamins, you are one step closer to passing the dental hygiene board exams (NBDHE, NDHCE). If your friend has NOT subscribed to the FREE Mini-Reviews yet, please share the love! Wish you another powerful week!
Mini Boards Reviews for the National + Local Anesthesia Dental Hygiene Boards. Weekly Sample Questions at www.StudentRDH.com. Find COMPLETE review courses too. “I wish I did not spend money on other review courses!” – Bethany, Bergen CC, March 2016