Our special guest for today's podcast is the legendary, Dr. Robert
Emery, straight from Washington D.C. Dr. Emery is a visionary. He
listens, analyzes, and collaborates with teams of professionals to make
those visions a reality for both patients and fellow dentists. Check
out his beautiful practice at http://www.ccomfs.com
Emery was raised in Chicago, Illinois and presently resides in McLean,
Virginia. He received his undergraduate Bachelor of Arts Degree from
Miami University in Oxford, Ohio where he met Kathy, his wife to whom he
has been married since 1980. Subsequently he obtained his Doctor of
Dental Surgery Degree from the University of Illinois and a simultaneous
Bachelor of Science Degree in Dentistry. Upon completing his dental
degrees, he obtained a certificate in a hospital-based General Practice
Residency program at Long Island Jewish Medical Center. During this
program Dr. Emery received advanced training managing special needs
patients and the geriatric population. Following this, he received his
certificate in oral and maxillofacial surgery from the University of
Maryland where he received extensive training in orthognathic surgery,
temporomandibular joint disorders, and facial trauma.
included the Johns Hopkins Hospital and the R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma
Center. He is a board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon
(diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery),
fellow of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
and a fellow of the American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
He is also a Diplomate of the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology
and a fellow and member of many recognized national and international
dental, facial cosmetic surgery, and dental implant organizations. He is
actively involved in training oral and maxillofacial surgery residents
at the Washington Hospital Center. He is on the staff of the Children's
Hospital National Medical Center and George Washington Hospital.
Emery has devoted his professional career to all aspects of oral and
maxillofacial surgery practice with special interests in the treatment
of dental implants, impacted teeth, orthognathic surgery, and delivery
of the highest quality sedation and anesthesia services. To keep abreast
of the latest developments in OMS, Dr. Emery has always exceeded the
continuing education requirements of the District of Columbia, Maryland,
Dr. Emery has always placed a great emphasis on
dental implant surgery and reconstruction. He received the Nobelpharma
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Research Award and Grant, from the Oral
and Maxillofacial Surgery Research Foundation. This grant was used to
study a novel technique for placing dental implants. In addition, Dr.
Emery has received funding for numerous clinical trials involving new
implant designs and surgical techniques. Dr. Emery is a founding partner
in a dental instrument manufacturing company that designs novel
instumentation for dental surgeons worldwide. X-Nav Technologies LLC. He lectures extensively, both local and nationally on all aspects of implant reconstruction and placement.
Emery has a long history of leadership within the dental community. He
has served many years on the Board of Directors of the District of
Columbia Dental Society and served as President (2014-2015). He is past
President of the District of Columbia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial
Surgery, and President of the Middle Atlantic Society of Oral and
Maxillofacial Surgery. He is a founding member of the Renaissance Dental
Study Group. This group provides continuing education to the local
Dr. Emery’s interests include sharing his wife’s
artwork and that of other local artists with the community. He enjoys
skiing, golf, and participates in triathlons and endurance sports
including swimming across the Chesapeake Bay. Dr. Emery and his wife
share a common interest in breeding and raising Amazon parrots and
- American Dental Association
- District of Columbia Dental Society
- Maimonidies Dental Society
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Middle Atlantic Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- District of Columbia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- American Academy of Osseointegration
- American Sleep Disorders Association
- Washington Hospital Center
- Children's Hospital National Medical Center
A few dental-related topics we discuss with Dr. Emery:
- What is dynamic image navigation and how long has it been available to dentists?
- What got you interested in dynamic navigation?
- What are the basic components of a dynamic navigation system and what is new and different about the X-Guide?
- What are the steps for planning and implementation of dynamic navigation?
- What does the literature say about the accuracy of dynamic image navigation compare with freehand and static guidance?
- What are the advantages of using dynamic navigation vs. static guides?
- Will this technology make a dentist more efficient?
- Can the technology be used with both a standard analog approach and in a fully digital approach?
- What does the future hold for dynamic navigation in dentistry?
Thank you for being a guest on our show, Dr. Emery! To check out more information about X-NAV technologies, please visit http://www.x-navtech.com/