I recently had a chance to sit down with the A/R Ninja, Andy Grover Cleveland.
During this short conversation we not only talked about how to create a culture of payment, but we talk about how important it is to bill your patients and call them regularly when they owe you money.
Andy will share why it is important to use a 3rd party to bill and he will let you know when it is best to get a 3rd party involved in collecting money in your dental practice.
Stick to the basic principles:
- Outsourcing your dental insurance.
- In today’s world dental professionals have a lot more responsibility and therefore outsourcing your dental insurance is very helpful for efficiency.
- Empower your team to use their judgement when doing their job.
- “Mr. Patient, it will be $599 today, how would you like to take care of that today?” Now the PAY-tient says, “My brother-in-law plays golf with doctor, so I will talk to the doctor about this.”
- You must have parameters and stick with the plan.
- Payment options must be clear.
- Know what the rules are and empower your team to live by the rules.
- Doctor, you can’t change the rules and make exceptions.
- Pay-tients must pay at the time of service.
Billing and Calling Pay-tients regularly
- Communicate routinely when your Pay-tients owe you money.
- You can do collections but maybe.
- Checkout the Tennessee Backwoods Dentist on youtube to see, are you equipped to do some of these important tasks yourself?
Where do you spend your time daily in the dental office?
There are too many things “to-do” in a given day in the dental office and outsourcing collections, etc., can be very efficient for running a dental practice.
Question: What is the average for accounts receivable (A/R)?
Answer: Debbie and Dental Practice Solutions recommends 98% collections.
Andy mentions that for a start-up, you don’t want a high overhead.
If you have a mature practice, now you can do in-office financing and you may not need to have the high monthly collections.
If your personal finances can weather a higher A/R to allow more patients to make payments (in-house) on high-end services, then a higher A/R may work for your dental practice.
Andy states: “Every time you send a statement to a Pay-tient you are sending a message that you have made a mistake.”
What is the best way to contact a patient who owes you money?
Andy says that it depends upon the individual person. Keep the end in mind and try not to send statements. Try using all the avenues for sending statements; email, paper statement mailed and/or a text message with a link to pay.
Andy also says,
Dentistry is non-recourse.
Recap of the Podcast:
- All patients are asked to pay at the time of service.
- If patients do not pay at time of service, they will leave with a statement
- Work A/R weekly.
- Call outstanding A/R Pay-tients to ask, “how is (state the last service, area in their mouth treated), feeling?
- If it doesn’t get done, it won’t get done without someone doing it. Hire a service that will get it done.
- Focus on your “core competency…for doctor that is clinical dentistry.”
Understand, has your engine light come on? Is it blinking? If you said Yes, you need to outsource this area.
Be sure you don’t miss another info-packed FB live. Come over to our Facebook Business page for daily tips, inspiration and our weekly Facebook Lives:
Do you wish you had more Pay-tients say “YES” to your care?
Check-out our Case Acceptance/Treatment Planing Mastermind.
The next session begins the week of January 7, 2019.
How do I know if this mastermind is right for my dental practice?
The Mastermind is great for dental practices who:
- Want more hygiene patients to accept high-end services
-More implants, more crown/bridge, Invisalign, etc.
- If your case acceptance is less than 90%
- If you have one hole in your schedule each day
- If you want your production to be higher
- If you want more patients to pay at the time, they schedule for your care
Contact our office for the application.
Registration is limited to ONLY 10 offices.
When you contact our office, we will provide the mastermind details.
The 30-Day Mastermind is $795 and has a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or Call for application: 949-351-8741.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Debbie Seidel-Bittke, RDH, BS, CEO Dental Practice Solutions
Debbie Seidel-Bittke, RDH, BS is founder and CEO of Dental Practice Solutions. She is also a former dental hygiene program director. Her expertise is optimizing the hygiene department by taking a total team approach; including the doctor as the leader.
Dental Practice Solutions is able to support your dental practice with supporting your front office admin skills, insurance billing, reimbursement as well as credentialing and increasing your PPO fees.